Deployment: General Info
For enterprise deployments, consider the ESR (Extended Support Release) version.
- Download installer (current version): http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html
- The ESR version will overwrite/replace an existing non-ESR version (if installed to the default directory), and preserve users' profile data like bookmarks.
- Preferences and Locking: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locking_preferences
- All preferences: http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
- disable crash reporting: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-mozilla-crash-reporter-aka-breakpad-in-firefox-thunderbird-and-seamonkey/
Deployment: v31 ESR
- Reference: http://stealthpuppy.com/prepare-mozilla-firefox-for-enterprise-deployment-and-virtualization/
- Reference https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Enterprise_deployment
- Info on specific preferences: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base
Using CCK2 to configure deployment
- CCK2 install: http://mike.kaply.com/cck2/
- Run the add-on, select create new, and when prompted enter something like this
Name: ESR_31_4_0_v4 Identifier: MCPSv4 Version: ESR_31_4_0_v4
- Output directory: C:\Users\amorgan\Desktop\temp cck firefox esr 31_4_0\v4
- "Web Pages": default home page "www.google.com (allow change). Don't display welcome or upgrade pages.
- User Interface: Display menu bar by default. Leave title bar text empty.
- Permissions: add the following URL's and give them "Allow" for all 4 permission types:
*.essentialskills.net *.k12marshall.net *.marshall.k12tn.net *.ena.com *.testnav.com *.pearsonaccess.com *.pearsontestcontent.com *.thawte.com google-analytics.com s3.amazonaws.com *.renlearn.com *.mybigcampus.com *.mybigcampus.desk.com *.microsoftonline.com *.office.com *.sis-marshall.tnk12.gov *.support.sti-k12.com
- Search Engines: set default to Google.
- Bookmarks: display bookmarks toolbar by default. remove smart and default bookmarks.
- Preferences: (misc. entries not covered by the CCK2 wizard)
- If your users rely on websites that use Single-Sign-On (such as automatic signon using LDAPs to check the currently logged-in Windows user's credentials against a domain controller), you should enable NTLM authentication in firefox for those domains. 
- preference: network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris (allow LDAP SSO for these sites) value: myorg.net
- Set click-to-play default to off, allows all plugins to run without prompting? Disable other nag prompts.
- preference: plugin.default.state value: 2 - preference: plugin.state.java (always allow java plugin to be loaded without asking) value: 2 - preference: extensions.blocklist.enabled (req'd to disable outdated plugin warnings) (won't prompt to run outdated plugin) value: false
- General: don't check if firefox is default browser, always ask me where to save files.
- Data Choices: disable crash reporter, telemetry, and health report upload.
- Update: disable firefox updates.
- Certificates: No proxy, don't allow user to change network settings.
- Miscellaneous: Don't show the rights notification, don't show snippets on about:home.
- Different ways to install an add-on: 
- Each plugin can be removed by deleting its associated file, or selectively enabled in firefox's .cfg file (or about:config). To view all installed plugins and their filename info, go to this address:
- To deploy an addon that users can neither see, disable, or remove (addon is automatically installed and enabled next time firefox is restarted): download the .xpi (example: FirefoxGPO.xpi), extract it to a folder using 7-zip, then place this folder in [firefox install folder]\distribution\bundles. You may have to create the folders first. For example:
XP: IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\bundles" md "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\bundles" (then copy the "FirefoxGPO" folder from server to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\bundles\FirefoxGPO"
Firefox 31 ESR - example deployment script
@echo off ::installs Firefox 31.4.0 ESR(Extended Support Release) on winXP,7,8. CLS ::if OS is win2k skip to end ver | find "2000" > nul IF %ERRORLEVEL%==0 GOTO firefox_eof ::set log location, and log that script started SET p_log=C:\MYORG\general.log ECHO %date% %time% %~0 Started >> %p_log% ::VARIABLES SET _storeserver=MYFILESERVER SET _ver=31_4_0_ESR SET _sourcedir=%_storeserver%\installers\firefox\%_ver% :: set path for "program files" dir name in x32 and x64 SET _programfiles=C:\Program Files (x86) IF %processor_architecture%==x86 SET _programfiles=C:\Program Files ::define destination dir for installation. currently set to default. variable used only to locate and del old config files. SET INSTALLPATH=%_programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox ::set cck config files version SET _cckver=cck_v9 :Firefox_install ECHO Installing Firefox %_ver%... ::copy installer to temp dir COPY /Y \\%_sourcedir%\Firefox_Setup_%_ver%.exe %windir%\temp\Firefox_Setup_%_ver%.exe >NUL START /WAIT %windir%\temp\Firefox_Setup_%_ver%.exe -ms ::Rename application in registry, corrects how application appears in ccleaner and add/remove programs. :: x86 and x64 require different reg files, since key path is different. both x86 and x64 windows use same firefox installer though. SET _cpu=x64 IF %processor_architecture%==x86 SET _cpu=x86 regedit /s \\%_sourcedir%\reg_rename_appname_%_cpu%.reg ::disable mozilla maintenance service (the updater) sc config MozillaMaintenance start= disabled :Firefox_config ::copy config files from CCK into application dir START /WAIT /MIN \\%_storeserver%\scripts\resources\robocopy \\%_storeserver%\installers\firefox\%_ver%\%_cckver%\firefox "%INSTALLPATH%" /E /XO /LOG:C:\MYORG\logs\firefox_v31_4_0_ESR_v4robocopy.log ECHO %DATE% %TIME% Updated Firefox config files to %_cckver%>>%p_log% :firefox_eof ECHO %date% %time% %~0 Finished >>%p_log%